Shropshire Cycling Clubs Association Presentation 2017
Almost 100 riders and supporters cheered on the winners at Shropshire Cycling Clubs Association's annual prize presentation with club runs converging on Ellerdine Village Hall for a relaxed ceremony and social. Riders took advantage of the refreshments on offer courtesy of the hall's tireless committee and a chance to catch up during the close season. SCCA Chair Helen Tudor then opened proceedings, speaking about the high level of friendly competition apparent in 2017 in a full and well-supported season-long programme of events. She then introduced guest of honour Ruth Williams to hand out the medals and trophies from a groaning table, including three brand new Hill Climb Trophies introduced due to the extremely positive feedback received about this short, sharp season closing Series.
All the major winners received boisterous support from the floor as they collected their awards, with Hafren CC's Bryn Davies picking up an incredible five individual awards including the Shropshire Championship Shield after winning the Friction Hydraulics Series, The Inter-Club Shield for winning the SB Sports Injuries Series and The President's Trophy for being the most competitive rider of the season. Davies has been a constant feature at events during 2017 and these awards are richly deserved for this popular rider.
Long-distance specialist Victor Chetta mounted a successful defence of both the Best all Rounder and 100 mile competitions, taking home The Cliff Ash BAR and Jack Parker Trophies which he has held since 2015. But the Mid Shropshire Wheeler wasn't finished there as he added the 50 Mile trophy to his palmarès for the first time.
The Women's championships saw some tough competition with spoils being shared. Revolutions Racing's Pauline Hughes won four awards: The Shropshire Women's Championship Shield, The Gordon Davies Women's Trophy, The Women's 100 mile Trophy and The Women's Inter-Club Trophy. New Mid Shropshire Wheelers' member Becky Lewis made an immediate impact in 2017 snatching the Women's Best all rounder in the final event and putting in a dominant ride to take the Women's 50 Mile Trophy. Despite having a quiet year by her high standards Jenny York still managed to clinch The Brian and Gill Morrison 25 Mile Trophy, whilst Hafren CC's Emma Serjeant won the new Women's Hill Climb Shield in the final round of the Coaching Revolutions Hill Climb Series from York. The spread of the trophies shows just how competitive the Women's events have been in 2017.
Bryn Davies wasn't the only rider to take home five awards with Sam Morris increasing his 2016 tally by two, including The Shropshire Junior Championship Shield and The Shropshire Star Junior Best all Rounder Trophy. He didn't have things quite all his own way however with Jack Young delighted to seal the Junior Inter-Club Trophy, and Matty Redworth winning the brand new Junior Hill Climb Shield.
The Veteran's class is expanding as the boom in cycling has seen an increase in over-40's riding, with Stuart Proctor a first-time winner of both The Shropshire Veterans Championship Shield and The Veteran's Best all Rounder Trophy. Proctor has had a fine season and enjoyed his morning out to pick up these well-earned prizes. Ian Coupland meanwhile was the first name engraved on the Veteran's Hill Climb Shield.
Meanwhile Kirk Vickers successfully defended his overall Hill Climb Championship and Road Race Championship, putting in dominant displays in 2017.
The Team prizes are hotly contested with the 2-Up format particularly well received. Three pairs of awards saw Bryn Davies picking up his sixth trophy thanks to a successful defence in the Coaching Revolutions 2-Up Championship with partner Pete Thomas. Meanwhile Nova Raiders appear to have taken the format to their hearts with Jenny Newton and Jane Chapman also successfully defending the Women's 2-Up Championship whilst team mates Rachel Storey and Craig Howells joined the celebrations after taking the Mixed Team 2-Up Trophies. Nova Raiders were not finished there however, engraving the club's name for the first time on the John Farr 4-Up Shield as well as taking the County's Top Club Award by a huge points margin.
Major prize winners:
- Becky Lewis: Women's 50 mile Trophy and Women's Best all Rounder rose bowl
- Bryn Davies: Freeston Trophy, Inter-Club Trophy, Jim Heath Trophy, President's Trophy and Shropshire Championship Shield;
- Emma Sergeant: Women's Hill Climb Trophy
- Ian Coupland: Veterans Hill Climb Trophy
- Jack Young: Junior Inter-Club Trophy
- Jenny York: Brian and Gill Morrison Trophy
- Kirk Vickers: Hill Climb Trophy and Road Race Trophy
- Matt Gibbons: Gordon Davies Trophy
- Matty Redworth: Juniors Hill Climb Trophy
- Pauline Hughes: Shropshire Women's Championship Shield, Gordon Davies Women's Trophy, Women's 100 mile Trophy, Women's Inter-Club Trophy
- Sam Morris: Buz Hughes Shield, Junior Best all Rounder Trophy, Shropshire Junior Championship Shield, Alan Roberts Junior Trophy, Jack Pitchford Trophy
- Stuart Proctor: Shropshire Veterans Championship Shield and Veteran's Best all Rounder Trophy;
- Victor Chetta: 50 mile Trophy, Cliff Ash Best all Rounder Trophy, Jack Parker 100 mile Trophy.
- Pete Thomas & Bryn Davies: 2-Up Trophies
- Craig Howells & Rachel Storey: Mixed Team 2-Up Trophies
- Jane Chapman & Jenny Newton: Women's 2-Up Trophies
- Nova Raiders: John Farr 4-Up Shield and Top Club Award